Course: An Introduction to Automated Mineralogy / Automated Materials Characterization 2
24 - 26 November 2020
“Automated Materials Characterization” / “Automated Mineralogy” is an analytical technique based on scanning electron microscopy (SEM) image analysis coupled with energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDS).
This analysis method includes analytical systems such as the Mineral Liberation Analyzer (MLA), the QEMSCAN (Quantitative Evaluation of Minerals by Scanning Electron Microscopy) and others. With this analytical technique almost every kind of solid material can be analyzed, regardless of whether the material is of natural or artificial origin. Examples for such materials are ores, rocks, minerals, processing products, recycling materials, environmentally relevant materials, metals, alloys, building materials, special glasses, and many more. By using “Automated Materials Characterization” technique you have the possibility to characterize your materials accurately, to detect and reduce materials losses, and to evaluate and optimize your processes. As a consequence this can save you process costs, energy costs, and production costs.
- Module 1: Introduction into “Automated Materials Characterization” / “Automated Mineralogy”
- Module 2: Introduction into Mineral Liberation Analyzer (MLA) and QEMSCAN (Quantitative Evaluation of Minerals by Scanning Electron Microscopy)
- Module 3: MLA Lab Session
- Module 4: Data Processing and Analysis Results
- Module 5: Practical Sessions
Type of training
The course is a combination of classroom lectures, a MLA lab session and practical sessions.
Objectives and outcomes
- History and fields of application of “Automated Materials Characterization”
- Structure and outcomes of MLA and QEMSCAN software
- Evaluation and value of results parameters
For Module 5 (Practical Sessions), a laptop would be required. The required software will be given by the lecturers.
If your business is mineral exploration, mining, processing, beneficiation, aggregates industries, metal industry, special glass industry, environmental business, or oil & gas this course will valuable for you.