Do you have an innovative idea and want to jumpstart your business?
EIT Jumpstarter is a pre-accelerator program for innovators in the healthcare, agri-food, raw materials, energy, urban mobility and manufacturing industries.
EIT Jumpstarter is ideal for teams with innovative business idea, who want to jumpstart their company. With the contribution of best-in-class experts, creative community, unique know-how our aim is to support idea-holders to turn their ideas into business. We help them build a viable business model around their innovative product or service idea, validate it and if their business idea is proven to be sustainable, we encourage them to register their company.
We introduce teams to partners, investors, regulatory bodies and companies that can produce their products, their first buyer or a test site. They meet major innovation hubs in Europe, which is important when they want to enter foreign markets.
The program contributes to boosting innovation and entrepreneurship within Central-Eastern and Southern-European Regions by validating innovative solutions and connecting them with the articulated demands from the industry. The program has trained 348 start-up teams since 2017, and in 2019 EIT Jumpstarter won the Best Association Training Initiative Award of the European Association Awards.
Is it for me?
Are you part of a scientific project team, innovator, scientist, PhD or Master’s student with a product or service idea to disrupt the raw materials sector? Do you want to bring your idea out of the lab to the market? Then EIT Jumpstarter is ideal for you.
What will you learn?
During the eight months-long program, you will find and validate the best business model for your innovative idea. The courses build on the lean start-up methodology from the Silicon Valley translated to the European environment. You will learn about: how to refine your deal, market segmentation, customer value proposition, financials, investment basics, legal basics
To enter the competition, submit your idea of an innovative product or service that can make an impact in the raw materials sector. The winners will win a EUR 10 000 prize and will be involved in various events organised by the EIT RawMaterials, and have an opportunity to network with the world’s largest community in the raw materials sector!
The EIT Jumpstarter 2021 is divided into four phases:
Phase 1: Submission of ideas
- To participate in the Competition, the applicants must present a brief description of their idea of the innovative product or service proposed, answering predetermined questions online. A template is available which includes the questions and guidelines. The applicants should put emphasis on: the innovative concept, competitive advantage, customers and potential market. Ideas submission deadline: 16 April 2021 at 23:59 CET.
- The best ideas will be selected to go to the next phase.
Phase 2: Boot Camp and Coaching
- The applicants selected in phase 1 will be invited to participate to a two-day bootcamp, where they will be trained on fundamental business skills (business modelling, pitching etc.). Bootcamps will be held online in June 2021. Participating teams or individuals will be awarded EUR 1 000 per team/individual as lump-sum scholarship for the travel costs related to the participation to the allocated bootcamp in Phase 2.
- The payment of the scholarship will be done upon successful completion of the bootcamp training.
- At the end of the Bootcamps EIT RawMaterials will evaluate the pitch decks and the pitches and based on those will invite the best 50% of the participants to continue in Phase 3.
Phase 3: Local Joint Trainings
- The applicants that went through phase 2 and have succeeded in the final pitch of phase 2 will be invited to Local Joint Trainings in September 2021. Participating teams or individuals will be awarded EUR 1 000 per team/individual as a lump-sum scholarship for the travel costs related to the participation to the allocated Local Joint Trainings and – if invited – the Joint Grand Final event in phase 3.
- The payment of the scholarship will be done upon successful completion of the Local Joint Training.
- Among the applicants to Phase 3, six finalists will be selected to go to the next phase.
Phase 4: Mentoring and Final Pitching
- The invited finalists will have a chance to get further training and dedicated mentoring through the EIT RawMaterials Business Development Managers to compete at the Joint Grand Finals with other EIT Innovation Communities. The teams will pitch their idea in front of the Jury, composed of EIT RawMaterials team and partners.
- The top 3 winners will be selected from the Jury and awarded:
- 1st prize: EUR 10 000
- 2nd prize: EUR 7 000
- 3rd prize: EUR 5 000
Which topics are relevant?
EIT RawMaterials aims at supporting new solutions in the fields of exploration, mining, and processing of raw materials as well as their manufacturing into products, recycling, and integration into a Circular Economy (including design and manufacturing of tools and equipment, smart products and services, end-of-life product management).
Metals and minerals are the main target of the EIT RawMaterials innovation community. Bio-based materials (energy, agricultural, polymers) are excluded, if not considered for the potential substitution of critical, toxic mineral or metallic materials or for optimized performance.
The Jumpstarter Competition of EIT RawMaterials covers two thematic categories:
Primary production of raw materials including:
- Exploration and raw materials resource assessment
- Mining in challenging environments
- Increased resource efficiency in mineral and metallurgical processes
Secondary production of raw materials including:
- Recycling and material chain optimisation for End-of-Life products
- Substitution of critical and toxic materials in products and for optimised performance
- Design of products and services for the circular economy