Project duration: 1 January 2019 – 31 December 2021
The need for raw materials, especially Rare Earth Elements (REE), is increasing rapidly in the EU and globally. At the same time, the amount of mine waste is increasing drastically together with concerns related to the environmental effects of mining. The mining industry can achieve more eco-efficient and selective raw material production by enhancing the utilization of side streams and mine waste. This development highlights the need to develop more efficient recovery methods and to efficiently remove dissolved metals from mine water streams while securing the surrounding environment and ecosystem.
The solution (technology)
This project aims to enhance the eco-efficient and sustainable use of natural resources by creating a modular recovery process service package for hydrometallurgy and water treatment. In addition, the organic adsorbents will be tested for efficient applications in semi-passive drainage water treatment and REE and base metal recovery. The modular recovery process service package including a mobile pilot plant combined with innovative SME technologies and eco-efficient organic adsorbents will be a powerful tool in developing utilization and cleaning of mining side streams.
- Geologian tutkimuskeskus, GTK (Geological Survey of Finland), Finland (Lead Partner)
- Agencia Estatal Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas M.P., CSIC (Spanish National Research Council), Spain
- LTU Business AB, Sweden
- Savonia University of Applied Sciences Ltd, Finland
- Suomen Malmijalostus Oy (formerly Terrafame Group Oy), Finland
- University of Eastern Finland, Finland
- University of Huelva, Spain
Find more information about the innovation project on Morecovery website.