The development of marketable products starting from waste (mining sludge and agro-residues) can have a clear positive impact on the environment since it decreases the amount of waste to be disposed of. The scouting of innovative applications of waste-derived materials and the development of already identified products/applications will foster the development of new skills (innovative waste management processes; use of alternative materials in existing processes/products; etc.)
BloW-uP RIS project intends to transfer the EIT RawMaterials NoI model to ESEE countries, supporting the de-siloing and development of new applications for a better waste and raw materials management. The scope is to create the basis for helping (local) companies and entrepreneurs together with Academia and Research (the knowledge triangle) in the development of new solutions/products/processes based on waste derived secondary raw materials. Blow-uP is also an outreach of FREECATS NoI and will exploit its asset and expertise widening the impact to new products and markets.
The solution (technology)
Nanomaterials possess a great potential or have already found applications in several KETs and commercial product and found a large number of applications in different fields. BloW-UP solutions: Additives for lubricants made from mining sludges already reached TRL3. In BloW-uP TRL will be increased up to 5-6 at least. Carbon based materials for FCs/Electrolyzers and Metal-Air batteries are expensive while starting from secondary raw materials derived from wastes would reduce the cost.
Other applications (to be assessed) include:
- iron oxides utilized in air pollution abatement, wastewater treatment, in syngas and hydrogen production;
- carbon-based materials as adsorption materials for waste water treatment, and support materials for catalysts.
- Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (National Research Council), Italy (Lead Partner)
- Agencia Estatal Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas (CSIC), Spain
- University of Bologna, Italy
- Polytechnic University of Milan, Italy
- University of Oulu, Finland
- University of Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- LIR Evolution, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- TEHNOSINT d.o.o., Bosnia and Herzegovina
- IOCCP-BAS, Bulgaria
Learn more about the BloW-uP project on blowupris.istm.cnr.it