Expert Forum & Brokerage Event 2021
Developing raw materials into a major strength for Europe
Minerals, metals and advanced materials are key enablers to achieve the objectives of the European Green Deal. Today, only a fraction of the most relevant raw materials is produced in Europe. This can be changed through a circular economy approach, through innovation in recycling, substitution, processing, mining, and exploration. It is the objective of EIT RawMaterials to secure a sustainable raw materials supply by driving innovation, education, and entrepreneurship across European industrial ecosystems.
Get insights from leading experts and policymakers on key trends, opportunities and challenges in the raw materials value chain
13-14 October 2021, online
We kindly invite you to the Expert Forum3 and the Brokerage Event 2021 that will focus this year on the Call for Projects (KAVA 9) and three Lighthouse programmes:
- Responsible Sourcing
- Sustainable Materials for Future Mobility
- Circular Societies
The Brokerage Event will start on Wednesday, 13 October at 11:00, and will provide an update on the new Call for Projects (KAVA 9). Our team will share the latest achievements from the Innovation Community, and we will discuss our strategic objectives and operational matters.
Find Presentation/Pitching-Slides for Download & Videos in the detailed agenda for Day 1.
The Expert Forum3 starts on Wednesday, 13 October at 14:00 with the Lighthouse session on Responsible Sourcing. On Thursday, 14 October the Lighthouse sessions on Sustainable Materials for Future Mobility will take place from 09:00 to 13:00 and the Lighthouse session for Circular Societies will be from 14:00 to 18:00.
Find Presentation/Pitching-Slides for Download & Videos in the detailed agenda for Day 2.
Take the first step to meet potential partners for project proposal ideas and build consortia for the Call for Projects 2022
This year, and following your expectations, we introduce a pitching session to present proposal ideas at the end of each Lighthouse session. You can select this opportunity during the registration process and select the favorite session and timeslot. Please us the pitching template (you can download it during the registration process).
Also, you will have the opportunity to arrange individual speed-networking meetings on the EIT RawMaterials Matchmaking platform, which will be open from 13 to 29 October. The registered participants will receive further information on how to join the Matchmaking platform in due course after the registration.
Minerals and metals for a modern and sustainable society
Europe is highly dependent on raw materials that are predominantly sourced overseas: it is using 23% of the world’s mine production for metals and minerals but only produces 2-3% itself.
Sustainability starts with Europe's resource potential
The Sustainable Discovery and Supply Lighthouse focuses on the topics related to:
- Targeted exploration of Strategic Materials and/or Critical Raw Materials with advanced multi-scale data integration—from earth observation to regional multi-sensor surveys and from drill core characterisation to nanoscale geochemistry
- Responsible supply and traceability of strategic materials and/or Critical Raw Materials
- Environmental-Social-Governance (ESG)
Sustainable Materials for Future Mobility
Emerging energy and mobility technologies create a strong demand for raw and advanced materials, and for some critical raw materials this demand will dramatically exceed current production in the next 10-15 years.
Innovation in electrification and lightweight design enabling energy transition
The Sustainable Materials for Future Mobility Lighthouse covers the scope of topics related to:
- Resource efficient design of materials and products to optimise the use of critical raw materials and to substitute toxic materials
- Innovative technical and business solutions in process design, plant engineering and construction for the production of precursor materials, advanced materials, and intermediate products in the above-mentioned strategic value chains
- Development of an improved Life Cycle Inventory database for raw materials and advanced materials related to e-mobility
The successful transition to the circular economy at the global scale, depend on the reliable and sustainable supply and management of raw materials.
Closing material loops: a radical shift from linear to circular thinking
The Raw Materials and Circular Societies Lighthouse focuses on the above-mentioned value chains:
- Recycling of end-of-life products containing Strategic Materials and/or Critical Raw Materials including dismantling, sorting and recovering technologies
- Supply of Strategic Materials and/or Critical Raw Materials through industrial Waste Valorisation/Industrial Symbiosis
- Resource and Energy efficient in metallurgical and Mineralogical processing