For start-ups and SMEs that want to test business ideas, would like to meet key players in the raw materials sector, are looking for financial and/or non-financial support
EIT RawMaterials can help you to create and develop new, innovative business ideas in the raw materials sector – covering every stage from initial ideas to business creation and business growth. The Focus Markets of EIT RawMaterials are ICT, energy supply, machinery & equipment, and mobility. Start-ups targeting other markets are, however, not excluded.
The EIT RawMaterials Start-up and SME Booster Call seeks innovative entrepreneurs in the following three thematic categories:
1. Going beyond discoveries and intelligent mine
- Technologies and solutions for improved and new mineral exploration, and for more efficient, safer and sustainable modern mining. As an example, solutions could include: New and improved geological models, better model understanding and techniques for going 3D/4D, going deep, going holistic, etc.
- New instrumentation, methods and technologies for more deployable, reliable, cheaper, faster, deeper and safer mineral exploration and mining, including technologies and services for innovative data acquisition, new data types, big data analysis/handling including assessments and methods to revitalise and utilise existing/historical dataset for exploration and mining.
- Application of new innovations, new geological models and rethinking/reevaluations of geological settings/prospects to provide new exploration prospects and mining targets.
- Application of new technologies/ services for more efficient production, better safety, better utilisation of equipment and employees for mining and exploration. Virtual reality, UAVs/ robotics, automation, real-time data that will improve planning, scheduling of operations and delivering better efficiencies and cost savings.
- Innovative services, approaches and products in order to ensure public understanding and awareness about the need for raw materials, exploration and mining, ensure cooperate social responsibility and social license to operate as well as added values of exploration and mining including remediation.
2. Optimisation of processes, recycling and circular economy
It is of utmost importance to introduce in the market solutions for resource effective processing and (circular) use. This will build on technologies and business models for improved material production, materials supply from secondary sources, recycling and for the implementation of a circular economy approach. As an example, solutions could include:
- Optimised extraction and production processes for metals and alloys, improving the efficiency of the process, using less energy and water, reducing cost and the production of waste.
- Solutions for recycling of end-of-life products, extraction from industrial residues, tailings, urban and landfill mining, (e.g. WEEE, batteries, magnets, solar cells etc).
- Cost efficient and clever collection, dismantling and sorting of waste.
- New business models for resource recovery, product Life Extension (repairing, remanufacturing, etc), product as a service, sharing platforms.
3. Substitution of resource critical and toxic materials and for optimized performance
EIT RawMaterials supports business models based on new technologies or services that make it possible to substitute or use less critical or toxic materials in key industries. In addition, solutions for an optimised performance of materials and entire products will be supported. New approaches and solutions can be developed on an elemental, material, process, product, system, and service level. Examples:
- Substitution of critical and toxic metals in specific energy materials, like Pt in fuel cells, Co in lithium ion batteries, Nd and Dy in Nd-Fe-B permanent magnets.
- Substitution of critical and toxic metals like Co and W in carbides, speciality metals in high strength steels and superalloys, including the design and manufacturing.
- New material systems that contain no or less critical and toxic materials, for instance, for the use in batteries, permanent magnets, solar cells, and thermoelectric and magnetocaloric applications.
- New/optimised materials for additive manufacturing, for instance, in the field of printable electronics.
- New lightweight composites and designs as substitutes for critical materials containing high strength steels and for optimized performance.
- Solutions that integrate new materials into a Circular Economy, for instance, technology and business that enables and builds upon the reuse and recycling of newly developed, high-performance materials g. New products, systems, and services for an optimised raw materials use, particularly with respect to mobility and energy technologies.
How to apply
Each Co-Location Center (CLC) operates in certain countries. Please check here which CLC covers the country of your start-up. Please find below which CLC Start-up and SME Booster Call is open. If the Call is open, submit your application. The second stage is an invitation to pitch your idea to a jury of renowned thematic and business experts.
For start-ups and SMEs in Hungary, Italy and Spain
CLC South Start-up and SME Booster Call is Open!
Submit your application by 31 July 2017.
Learn more about Conditions for the CLC South Start-up and SME Booster Call 2017 here.